St. Michael’s Church- Restoration
Location: Gorey, Co. Wexford
The subject Church attributed to the renowned ecclesiastical Architect A.W.N. Pugin dates from 1839 and, as a Protected Structure, is rated as being of National importance.
This €1M restoration project involved stripping back to the original fabric and recreating some of the original features/decorative stencilling, etc., along with the sympathetic modernization vis-á-vis service installations.
After carrying out extensive investigation/Condition Surveys, the project then involved a scoping up of works, preparation of budgetary estimates, plus extensive public consultation (including a large scale display) and public address to outline proposals.
The end result was very successful in having been delivered within the very tight (4 month) Church closure timeframe and was completed under budget to an exceptionally good standard of workmanship.
The restoration has gone a considerable way towards authentically recapturing the bygone essence of the building and, although now exuding a much more muted/calm ambience, it had done the Church building a great service in having eliminated many of the inappropriate and disjointed interventions that occurred in such a disparate manner over several generations to now present a far simpler and cohesive place of worship.
Role: Full Design Team Service – acting as Lead Design Consultant for Planning, Architectural (including Conservation Architect), M&E Consultant and Q.S. through Planning, Tendering and Construction Stage to completion