Location: Freshford Road., Kilkenny
Originally built as a medical care facility back in 1912 by Lady Desart, this property was acquired by the Sisters of John of God in 1933, but following the construction of a large modern hospital complex directly adjacent in 1982, this building subsequently fell into decline. With the emergence of private healthcare throughout the 1990’s however, a new lease of life was breathed into this attractive building.
In so doing, our brief was to effectively “gut-out” the building and completely modernise it to the healthcare standards applicable in a modern facility of this sort. Whilst we have managed to preserve much of the beautiful character of the original building, the end result has been a cutting-edge, up to date private clinic facility, fully embracing modern medical techniques and equipment installations.
Role: Design team lead, Architectural Consultant